
I walked through the busy streets of Chicago....alone. My eyes trying to take in all of it's beautifully designed structures. I loved the backdrop....reminding me of how much of this world I had yet to explore. I was on a business trip and was ready to take in all I could in the next 5 days between seminars. I learned by the end of the first day as I went back empty handed to my 5 star hotel to order room service that carrying money with me would be detrimental to my stay.
Homelessness, in this city was heartwrenchingly overwelming and I knew myself well enough to believe that I would give away all of my spending money by the end of the next day if I did not watch myself. I decided the next night to give myself an "allowance". I would carry no more than a few dollars a day for the "needy" and when it was gone...that was all I would give.
The next day I was standing on a corner waiting for a light to change before I could safely cross the dangerously busy traffic. Behind me a wheelchair bound man sat crying loudly and shaking his seemingly empty can..."Change", "Change". His cry was desperate and I had already given away my "allowance" to others who were in need. I tried to ignore him and prayed that the light would "Change" and quickly. The harder I ignored him the louder he became...."CHANGE" "Can you spare some CHANGE". Tears began to stream down my face, but I did not want to give anymore then I already had.
The light apparently was broken, minutes seemed like hours and the man's cries would not let up. "Don't do it, the voice inside me pleaded", "You have already given your share". Just then he screamed out the word once more...this time in what seemed a bone chilling choir. I broke...I couldn't take it no more?....I reached down into my pocket and pulled out the last of everything that I had. I placed it into his can. The minute I let go the light changed and I was free to proceed.
As I walked back to the hotel, I wept as I thought about this man. Somehow it was not just the man himself that was haunting me but his words...."Change, Change, Change...Can you spare some change?" Deep within my spirit, I turned his words over and over. Then it hit me. Change. Could I spare some change? So often I go about my life as if the small amount of sacrifices I make for God are enough to fulfill my "duties". I regulate the amount I am willing to invest in our relationship. I give God what I want and when I want. When He asks for the things I am hiding in my "other pocket" I try to ignore, avoid or escape His cries. God does not want some of us....He desires ALL of us.
I never stop asking God for the things that I need. I am but a beggar, shouting, no demanding my needs, my desires and my dreams be met. But I never stop, wait and listen to the voice of God telling me what He needs or He desires for my life. I heard the question once again, whispering gently to my soul...Can you spare some change. Tonight, I was ready, I was humbled. I emptied all my pockets before the Lord in complete submission. I am ready and willing to give you everything I have been holding back.
Oh please Father..."Can you spare some change" for a fool like me?
No comments:
Post a Comment